Wednesday 1 January 2014

14. First Mapping Session.

First mapping session.

After ten days I returned to Bristol for the first mapping session.  It would have been a week but the Christmas festivities intervened.  I shared all of my observations with the audiologist and she told me that they were common experiences and that there was no reason for concern.  The loudness of the implant had reduced which was normal but adjustable.  So, wired up to the computer, I was presented with the sounds produced by the sixteen electrodes in the cochlear array and each one was turned up to the point that it was loud but comfortable.  It was good to see that all of the electrodes were working and amazing to hear those very high frequencies, which I feel I have never been able to hear at any time before.  The volume on all of the frequencies was similar which interested me because my hearing aid was set to boost high frequencies most.  The audiologist then saved the new settings as the default programme in the processor.  A second programme was also created with a further boost to volume should I need it.  I had no difficulty in hearing the audiologist; she came over loud and clear yet my wife told me on departure that she had spoken softly throughout.  Constant deterioration of natural hearing is unavoidable and inevitable but, I am reassured, the implant should remain stable without deterioration.  This is one of he reasons why I wanted the operation. So I returned home with a renewed hearing experience.  I tried the TV news without subtitles and got most of it but will still use the subtitles for a while yet. 


Today is New Year’s Day and it is pouring with rain. I’ve not mentioned this before but I am a Cotswolds Voluntary Warden and in that capacity I join my fellow wardens in keeping our beautiful part of the world in good order.  I’ve helped clear paths, installed bridges, stiles and gates and I look after a section of the Cotswold Way which runs through Crickley Hill overlooking Cheltenham.  But on this rainy day I’ve been one of four leaders guiding a walk for the general public.  I appreciated the interest shown by my colleagues this morning, which is the first time we’ve met since the switch on.  It will be interesting to re-join the work parties after the holiday to see if I can pick up more of the banter.  As I waited in the car for the intrepid walkers to arrive I tuned into Radio 4 and was able to enjoy a discussion about pantomimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment